EPSCOR Status Report May 2015
- Wies, R. W., R. A. Johnson, and A. Agrawal. Mar 2012. Energy‐Efficient Standalone Fossil‐Fuel Based Hybrid Power Systems Employing Renewable Energy Sources, Fossil Fuel and the Environment, Dr. Shahriar Khan (Ed.), ISBN: 978‐953‐51‐0277‐9, InTech.
- Janssen, N. T., R. W. Wies, and R. A. Peterson. Sep 2014. Improved Frequency Regulation on Hybrid Wind‐Diesel Microgrids using Self‐Sensing Electric Thermal Storage Devices, Proceedings of 2014 Australian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC), Perth, WA, Australia.
- Wies, R. W., E. Chukkapalli, and M. Mueller‐Stoffels. Jul 2014. Improved Frequency Regulation in Mini‐Grids with High Wind Contribution using Online Genetic Algorithm for PID Tuning, Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Janssen, N. T., R. W. Wies, and R. A. Peterson. Jul 2014. Development of a Full‐Scale‐Lab‐Validated Dynamic Simulink® Model for a Stand‐Alone Wind‐Powered Microgrid, Proceedings of 2014 ASME Power Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Wies, R. W., N. T. Janssen, and R. A. Peterson. May 2014. Evaluation of Grid‐Interactive Electric Thermal Storage (GETS) Heaters for Islanded Renewable Energy‐Diesel Microgrids in Cold Regions, Improved Frequency Regulation in Mini‐Grids with High Wind Contribution using Online Genetic Algorithm for PID Tuning, Proceedings International Conference on Cold Climate Technology, Narvik, Norway.
- Schaede, H., M. Schneider, J. Vandermeer, M. Mueller-Stoffels, and S. Rinderknecht. March 2015. Development of kinetic energy storage systems for islanded grids. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Renewable Energy Systems (IRES2015).
- Pacific Northwest Economic Region Annual Meeting – Anchorage, AK / July 2013: UAF research professor George Roe chaired a panel titled Microgrids: Policy Implications and Challenges for Utilities, with panelists from Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Kodiak Energy Association, and Northwest Territories Power Corporation.
- ARPA-E Innovation Summit – Washington, DC / February, 2014: PI Gwen Holdmann and UAF research faculty members Marc Mueller-Stoffels and George Roe hosted an information booth in the technology showcase, and participated in multiple discussions with ARPA-E, DOE, industry, and other academia personnel at the event. Topic areas included microgrid energy systems, renewable energy integration, energy storage, and technology transition-to-market.
- LeHigh University – Bethlehem, PA / February, 2014: UAF research professor George Roe served as an invited guest lecturer, sharing a presentation titled Energy in Alaska “North to the Future” at a student-faculty seminar, touring the LeHigh campus and laboratories, and discussing possible collaborations in the area of thermal energy storage.
- Energy Storage Peer Review – San Diego, CA / October 2013 and Washington, DC / September 2014: UAF research professor George Roe attended the peer reviews for information gathering and research collaboration explorations with other participants from government, industry and academia.
- Clean Technology Showcase – Seattle, WA / June 2014: UAF research professor George Roe served as a member of the event’s steering committee at the inaugural offering of this industry information and hardware display forum, hosted by the Washington Clean Technology Alliance.
- Mueller-Stoffels, M. 2014. Adding PV Capacity – Initial Assessment and Recommendations for Galena, Alaska.
- Wies, R. W. and N. T. Janssen. 2014. Review and Testing of Steffes Electric Thermal Storage Unit with Grid‐Interactive Frequency Regulation, prepared for Intelligent Energy Systems, LLC, funded by Denali Commission Emerging Energy Technology Grant Fund #7310049: Small Community Self‐Regulating Grid.
- Mueller-Stoffels, M., D. Light, G. Holdmann, and B. Sheets. 2013. GRIDFORM Inverter – Tests and Assessment,funded by Denali Commission Emerging Energy Technology Grant Fund #01233.
- Roe, G., D. Benoit, and C. Pike. 2015. Study of Direct Use Options for Hot Springs in Adak, Akutan & Atka, funded by AEA Grant Fund #TBD and Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association grant fund #TBD.
- Wies, R. W., N. T. Janssen, and R. A. Peterson. Mar 2014. Evaluation of Grid-Interactive Electric Thermal Storage (GETS) Heaters in Standalone Wind-Diesel Systems, 2014 Alaska Wind Integration Workshop, Fairbanks, AK.
- Janssen, N. Sep 2014. Thermal Storage: ETS as a Valuable Application for Excess Wind Energy in Microgrid Applications. 2014 Alaska Rural Energy Conference, Fairbanks, AK.
- Maker, P. and M. Mueller-Stoffels. June 2014. Limits and Opportunities for Improvements in Hybrid Power Systems. International Conference for Cold Climate Technology, Narvik, Norway. Also presented at the Rural Energy Conference, September 2015, Fairbanks, AK.
- Mueller-Stoffels, M. February 2015. Energy Storage for Islanded Microgrids. Islanded Grid Resource Center webinar series.
- Mueller-Stoffels, M. March 2015. Islanded Hybrid-Diesel Grids: Alaska’s Power Systems Integration Laboratory. ABB Automation and Power World 2015, Houston, Tx.
- Mueller-Stoffels, M. March 2015. How much Renewable Energy is too much? Islanded Grid Resource Center Wind Power Conference, Anchorage, AK.
- Mueller-Stoffels, M. April 2015. The Path Forward for Islanded Microgrids. Invited talk at Hybrid Energy Innovations 2015 Conference, New York, NY.