- Monday, November 10, 2014
Arctic Day at UAF
UAF will kick off a celebration of the Arctic on November 12th with a talk from Alice Rogoff, publisher of the Alaska Dispatch News. The talk titled, “The Importance of the Arctic and the Media’s Role in Communicating Its Value,” will take place in the Charles Davis Concert Hall on the Fairbanks campus at 6:30 p.m. on November 12th. Rogoff, whose Alaska Dispatch Publishing LLC bought the Anchorage Daily News in April, chairs the advisory council for the international Arctic Circle organization. She has also been responsible for establishing the Arctic Imperative Summit in Girdwood, Alaska, in 2011 and 2012.
Other Arctic themed events on the Fairbanks campus on Nov. 12–13 include an international flag dedication ceremony, Arctic research displays, a resource fair for students focused on opportunities in the Arctic, and a town hall-style presentation about key UAF Arctic-related initiatives. This educational event is designed to bring students and faculty together to share information about Arctic opportunities and activities at UAF.
Day 1 — Wednesday, November 12
• International flag dedication ceremony and reception in the Regents Great Hall at 5:30 p.m.
• Keynote speaker: Alice Rogoff, publisher of the Alaska Dispatch News, in the Charles Davis Concert Hall at 6:30 p.m.
Day 2 — Thursday, November 13
• Research displays and student resource fair in the Regents Great Hall from 8:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
• Maj. Gen. Michael Shields, U.S. Army Alaska, presents, “The Role of the US Army in a Changing Arctic, ” in Schaible Auditorium at 10 a.m.
• UAF Arctic Initiatives Town Hall at 1:15 p.m. in the Murie Building auditorium.
Arctic Day is sponsored by the UAF Chancellor’s Office. For more information, please contact Cheri Renson at 474-5114 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Flyer courtesy UAF.